Abia State Governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, has directed the immediate closure of scrap and waste (akpakara) markets in the state pending the proper identification of those involved in the collection and sale of scraps as well as the proper organization of the trade to eliminate associated criminal activities.
A statement signed by the State Commissioner for Trade and Investment, Chief John Okiyi Kalu listed the following 31 sites as the locations shut down:
- Port Harcourt Express Road by Tonimas Junction
- Umuode Village by Nwanyi Moto in Osisioma
- Port Harcourt Express Road near Harmony Park by Enyimba
- Port Harcourt Express Road by Ubani Junction
- Uratta Integrated Market Scrap Dealers
- Backyard Gate Alaoji along Port Harcourt Road
- Port Harcourt Express Road by Okwuonu junction, Uratta
- Ariaria Market after Bakassi Office
- Old Express by Samek Faulks Road
- 51, PH Road by Hollywood, Aba
- Cemetery Road by Railway
- Weeks Road by Cemetery Road, Aba
- 77, Clifford Road, Aba
- Etche Road Scrap Dealers
- School Road by Old Court
- Constitution Crescent by John 3:16 Ministry, Aba
- Peoples Road, Ogbor- Hill
- SANCAS School, Ikot- Ekpene Road, Ohanze near Dan Dollars Filling Station
- Inside Ehiere Market
- Ikot- Ekpene Road by EZESCO Ogbor- – Hill, Aba
- Alaoji by EASYON Filling Station Ogbor-Hill, Aba
- Alaoji by High Two Filling Station Ogbor-Hill, Aba
- Umuafor Federal School by Lord Chosen Church, Ogbor-Hill, Aba
- Federal Road by Obikabia at the back of Uche Filling Station, Aba
- Opposite Zone 6 Police Station, Ogbor-Hill, Aba
- 3, Glass Road, by Anaemerem Hospital
- Water Side by Umuoba Road
- Behind Eziama Police Station, Ogbor-Hill, Aba
- Opposite OLAS Oil, Ogbor-Hill, Aba
- Georges Street by Bible College
- 1b, Ozuitem Road by Ngwa Road etc
While relevant market executives and security agents are to ensure compliance with the directive on closure, leaders of the various scrap and waste market groups in the state are to meet with the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Trade and Investment, Sir Michael Egwu, on Tuesday, 17th May 2022 by 11am at the State Secretariat, Ogurube Layout, Umuahia. The Management of Inner Galaxy Steel Company Ltd, Ukwa West LGA, are also invited to attend the meeting.
In a related development, the government also announced that keke operations in Umuahia the state capital is banned.
A statement signed by the Secretary to Abia State Government, Barr. Chris Ezem stated:
“Sequel to inceasant report of increase in crime perpetrated by Keke operators in and around Umuahia.
“The Governor of Abia State, Okezie Victor Ikpeazu, Ph.D has approved the immediate ban of tricycle (KEKE) operations in Umuahia, from the hours of 10pm to 6am daily till further notice.
“Security agencies in the State are to arrest, detain and prosecute defaulters.”
Discussion about this post