The President of One Love Foundation, Chief Patrick Eholor has requested for comprehensive information on the monies expended by Edo State during the National Sports Festival of 2020.
Eholor’s Office also requested information about the level of indebtedness of Edo State, as well as information regarding directors of the various ministries and their particulars. The letter demanded for accountability in all areas of financial engagement of the state, including debts incurred since 2016.
In a letter addressed to the Governor’s office, and signed by his lawyer, Barrister Douglas Ogbankwa of Douglas Ogbankwa Law Firm, Eholor said the request is in order under the Freedom of Information Act. The activist gave the governor 21 days to provide the information, saying that he shall approach a competent court to enforce the law on the matter.
The letter read in part;
“We act as Solicitors to One Love Family Care Incorporated and Chief Patrick Osagie Eholor Popularly known as One Love Foundations and Ultimate Equal respectively on whose instructions we write this letter (Hereinafter referred to as “Our Client”).
Our Client has instructed us as follows:
1. That pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (2016) and other laws in that respect, hereby request for the following details in respect of the above indicated information.
2. The total amount expended by the Edo State government for the 2020 National Sorts Festival held in 2021
3. The level of local involvement of indigenes of Edo State in terms of supplies, personnel and contract used for the running of the sports festival.
4. Particulars of directors of all companies that executed contracts or provided supplies for the national sports festival.
5. The level of indebtedness of Edo State to local and foreign creditors.
6. The names and volume of indebtedness thereto of all creditors of Edo State government in respect of debt owed.
7. The names of all consultants to low transactions if they are individuals.
8. The particulars of directors of companies that they have consulted in respect of Edo State government for loans from 2016 till date.
9. Projects or programs that the loans obtained by Edo State government used from 2016 till date.
10. Proof of the execution of the said programs and projects thereon from 2016 till date.
11. Details of any proposed loan to be taken by Edo State at this moment from 2016 till date.
12. Details of Edo State assets used as collateral for loans from 2016 till date.
13. Particulars of all directors that have been contracted by Edo State Government , from 2016 till date.
14. Evidence of money paid to contractors matching work done by them.
15. Evidence that contracts executed where appropriated for by the Edo State House of Assembly from, 2016 till date.
We hereby give you 21 days to provide the above indicated information, failure of which we shall proceed against you in the court of competent jurisdiction to promptly enforce the law on this matter. This is to interrogate the transparency of the process, in your avowed disposition to the Open Government Initiative, which is now International Best Practice.
Let wise counsel prevail.
For: Douglas Ogbankwa Law Firm.