Founding president of One Love Foundation, and foremost human rights group, Chief Patrick Eholor has instituted a case against the Edo State Governor, Edo State Government, the Attorney-General of the state and Edo State Ministry of Justice, Edo State Commissioner for Health, and the Edo State Ministry of Health.
Eholor, in an originating summons through His counsel, T. A. Akahomen Esq, asked the Benin High Court to determine the following;
- Whether the Edo State Governor is not constitutionally mandated to maintain, protect and observe the provisions of the constitution in administration of Edo State Government;
- Whether the Central Hospital, Benin City, is not a property of Edo State.
- Whether Edo State Government in dealing with or making policies affecting the Central Hospital, Benin City is not required to strictly comply with the provision of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).
- Whether government can unilaterally alter, relocate or deal with the Central Hospital, Benin City without first of all complying with the
constitutional provision relating in determination of the general direction policies of the government on the Central Hospital, Benin City.
- Whether the planned relocation or alteration of the Central Hospital,
Benin City is not an issue of concern of all the people of the state government for which the stand of the Edo State House of Assembly is
required to critically examine the issue before any implementation.
Eholor also sought the following reliefs from the court;
- A Declaration that the Edo State Governor lacks the power to solely
determine the alteration, conversion, relocation or deal with the Central
Hospital, Benin City in any manner inconsistent with the law and tenets of democracy;
- An Order of injunction restraining the government and all its agents from further demolishing or converting or relocating or dealing with the Hospital or using the Hospital and its premises either for a modern motor park, museum or for any other purpose other than the hospital.
AND for such further other (s) as this honourable Court may deem fit to make in the circumstances.