By Edo South Youth Vanguard
The 2023 elections is around the corner, and like other electoral seasons, men and women have come forward to run for offices. Unfortunately, most of these politicians are jobbers who have only come out for negotians and personal gains.
This is why it has become very important for the Edo South Senatorial Zone electorates to ensure that the get it right this time.
As such, one young man has presented himself to give the people quality representation at the Senate Chambers, Honourable (Dr) Valentine Asuen. But, is he good enough?
It is time for the Edo South electorate look at the astute qualities that stand him out.
For instance, this is a very young man, barely 45, who has cut his teeth in business management as the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of DVD Oil. In an age where the youths are very confused and seem lost as to the direction to follow, such a role model figure is worthy of emulation.
Aside this, Asuen has been providing hope to the people by giving employment, both direct and indirect to Nigerians.
DVD Oil, as he is fondly called, is a true home boy. Having been born in Benin City, the heart of Edo South Senatorial Zone, he proceeded to do every aspect of his education right at home, in the schools within the zone.
He also grew his business at home, and has been running a successful enterprise at home. He has also gone ahead to serve as a Councilor of Ward 3, Oredo Local Government Area from 2007 to 2010.
As such, this is a classic story of an Area Boy, a Home Boy who completely understands his terrain and knows what his people need, and how to tackle these at the floor of the Senate.
Performance-driven in politics, performance-driven in business
As a young Councillor, Hon Asuen didn’t like the idea of market women at the Oliha market not been able to use potable water to solve their day to day cleaning needs.
So the first step he took was to use his personal funds to sink a Water Borehole, at Ofumwengbe Junction, opposite Oliha market, for public use – which is still functional to date.
He had also tried to assuage the challenges of bad motorable roads before commuters across his ward. As such. Hon. Valentine Owamagbe Asuen had frequently graded the earth roads within Ward 3 of Oredo LGA, Edo State.
He had also initiated, and supported essential Bills which led to highly impactful bylaws, amongst which was what led to effective regulations in the siting of motor parks.
Upon the emergence of the All Progressives Congress in 2014, Hon. Valentine Owamagbe Asuen had continued to be a revolutionary performer in the new party.
In no time at all, he was chosen to serve as the new State Youth Leader of the party in 2015.
It was during his watch as a State Youth Leader that he organized the First EDO STATE Youth Summit with the theme: CHANGING THE NARATIVES OF THE YOUTH IN POLITICS.
In business, Asuen is no lackey.
Having picked rare entrepreneurial attributes from his father who was a contractor, and mother, who was a renowned business mogul, he was to birth a new successful enterprise, the DVD Oil and Gas.
With just one sales outlet at Ikpoba Slope, Benin City in 2014, it has blossomed into 10 sale outlets across Benin City, with over 1000 members of staff on his payroll.
During the peak of COVID 19 Pandemic in Edo State, Hon. Valentine Owamagbe Asuen approached Edo State Government with an offer to provide logistical support in addition to providing free of charge petrol to Edo State Ministry of Health, as part of his contributions to cushioning the challenges of the Pandemic on government and Edo citizens.
Not minding the cost of diesel for regular pumping of water with the generator, it is also on the strength of his humanitarian gesture that every of DVD OIL AND GAS Filling Station is designed with an external Tap to constantly offer free of charge water supply to its environs.
During every festive season and his birthday celebrations, it is customary to offer free fuel to motorists and other essential items to the less privileged, with whom he also celebrates at different Orphanages, including the Salvation Army Home for the physically challenged.
Difficult to ignore
If it were possible, Hon Valentine Asuen would have preferred to remain unassuming and unanimous. But his deeds and contributions have continued to thrust him into the public domain.
As such, accolades and recognitions have been earned in local, national and international sectors.
Some of them include:
- National Association of Edo State Student, University of Benin Chapter. Award of Recognition to the Association. 13th April, 2022.
- Benin Royal Lions Club, Award of Excellence in recognition of passion, commitment and selfless service to humanity. 30th January, 2022.
- Rainoil Limited. Award of Recognition for years of committed patronage and dedication to service. 4th December, 2021.
- Coalition of Registered Political Parties (CRPP) Edo State Award of Excellence for contribution to the Socio=Economic Development of Edo State and Philanthropist per Excellent. 13th March, 2021.
- Jowen Native Rice Company Award of Excellence as Oil Servicing Company of the Year 2021
- Award for Excellence, presented to Hon. Valentine Owamagbe Asuen, for his selfless services to humanity. December, 2020.
- University of Benin Youth & Sports Award 2019 for Humanitarian Service and Sports Development at the University of Benin By Vice Chancellor, University of Benin, Prof. Osasere Orumwense (VC Cup 2019 Partner) 25th November, 2019.
- God’s Historic Chapel Commendation Service in Honour for Selfless Contribution and Work in the Lord’s Vineyard. 7th July, 2019.
- Meritorious Award in Recognition of Selfless Contributions towards Entertainment, Youths Development and Social Advancement in Edo State, Courtesy, T. Point Entertainment. 16th December, 2018.
- Joyous Mothers International Merit Award for Service to Humanity.1st December, 2018.
- 2018 Edo / Delta Industry and Leadership Award in Recognition of Excellence in Leadership and Service. 17th August, 2018.
- National Youth Council of Nigeria = Edo State Chapter, Certificate of Conferment as Friend of the National Youth Council of Nigeria. 13th August, 2018.
- Atalor Crackteam Award of Honour as the Most Dynamic Youth Leader in Nigeria. 28th December, 2017.
- Edo South Development Awards (SKO Kreations and Edo United Movement) Award in recognition of efforts in community development in Edo South. 17th April, 2017.
- Bethel University College of Biblical Studies, United State of America = USA (Award of Honorary Doctorate Degree of Law) on 12th July 2014
- National Association of Niger=Delta Students (NANDS) Award of Certificate in recognition of immense contributions to humanitarian service, youth empowerment and community development. Niger=Delta personality of the year 2014. 29th May, 2014.
- Event Maker. Award of Humanitarian Services, presented to Hon. Valentine Owamagbe Asuen.
- Compliment of University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) for Immense Contribution to the Upliftment of Humanity.
- Radio, Television, Theatre & Arts Workers Union of Nigeria (RATTAWU) Patron.
Truly, Honourable Valentine Asuen’s boundless energy is needed at the floor of the Red Chambers in order to give Edo South people fair and competent representation.
This is why everyone must lend a hand to ensure that this project is successful.